Friday 1 July 2016

Isle of May,Scotland. June 2016 Part 3. Fulmar

There are not that many Fulmars breeding on the island but they are a very confiding bird, particularly in flight, so if you can find the right spot they will perform their aerobatics just for you!
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
I must admit I didn't spend too much time with them as I am lucky to have a spot to do likewise very close to home. That also involves a precipitous drop too!
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
Fly by shots are always interesting as they ride the wind around the cliff face.
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
I love the show of feet that I presume is designed to help them hang in the wind.
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
They also use them to slow down as they attempt to land too.
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
Unlike my local spot where they land well below the cliff top, on the Isle of May I found a spot where they were landing at my level.
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
Is one smiling at the return of a partner?
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
Or in expectation of an ungainly crash landing !
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
Yep, not amused by the look of it!
What I really love about these birds is that they seem so graceful in flight but equally beautiful on the ground.
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
Just look at that bill.
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
They have a couple of fascinating traits.
Fulmar   Isle of May, Scotland 2016
They produce  a stomach oil which can be sprayed at potential predators as well as used as a food source for adults during long flights and for rearing chicks.
They also have a gland that desalinates the sea water they have swallowed, excreting the strong saline solution from their nose.
Maybe I should have spent more time trying for shots, particularly in better light as the sun came up over the south of the May.
Fulmar  Isle of May, Scotland 2016
Next time maybe !
T.B.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment